These are the books I've read since my last update:
- War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - 4-Dec-13 - Now I actually understand what is meant when people compare something long (and possibly) tedious with this book.
- Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell - 30-Dec-13 - A bit girly. Is this where the expression "A Scarlet woman" comes from?
- The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCollough - 1-Apr-14 - McCollough does Michener.
- Oscar and Lucinda - Peter Carey - 23-May-14 - A real beaut.
- A Passage to India - E. M. Forster - 18-Jun-14 - Had me hunting through wikipedia for information on British Imperial India.
- The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner - 7-Jul-14 - I would never have completed this without sneaking looks at a digest.
I feel not only a small sense of accomplishment but also significant unburdened relief as well. 19 September 2006 through to 7 July 2014 and a lot has happened in that time, marriage, two (more) children, many jobs, house moves, and sadly deaths. The slight feeling of dismay at the length of time it has taken me to complete this challenge is tempered by the fact that yes, I have been rather busy. The most notable change over this time was that at the start, I bought all the books as, well, books, you know, made out of paper. Now they are files on my Kindle.
My future challenges will definitely be of shorter-duration. Like managing a whole month without drinking.