Thursday, March 10, 2005

Nightmares

I have a terrible time when I stress from work. Generally I can't sleep as my mind is ticking over the problems. I'll wake in the middle of the night (like tonight!) with a solution that has occurred to me either in my sleep somehow, or has come to me when I've been lying there awake. In this case I've had an annoying technical problem the past three weeks and it's only just come to me now how to solve it. I've had to force myself to stay home and not go into work to start to fix it.

But now I'm awake. Hence neglected blog.

Thankfully though, it's not the same sleeplessness I have when I stress about non-work things. Money has been the big non-work thing stress recently. I know you're going to think I'm a bit crazy, but when I really, really stress, I have violent nightmares. They generally follow the same pattern where I murder some stranger for some unknown reason. Well, the reason is probably known at the time, but when I wake in fright, I can never remember the reason, I can only remember the horrid violence.

The other night's dream was a little bit novel, though. To set the scene: that evening Ali had two tickets that she'd gotten through school to one of the Sydney Kings vs. Brisbane Bullets semifinal playoff matches. [Basketball, just in case you were wondering.] Ali's school was playing another in a curtain-raiser game, and after watching that, we ventured out of the Entertainment Centre to find some dinner. Chinatown, naturally.

After some discussion, we decided to just grab some Chinese in one of the food courts. It was the worst Chinese food I have ever tasted in my life. Dry chicken, over-battered, extra-peppery. Yucko. Finish up, back to the basketball, Kings slaughtered Brisbane, very enjoyable, train home, sleep.

And that night, another nightmare. The murder: fatal stabbing with a chopstick.

No comments: